Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Last Day in OB

US TRAVELS: WEST COAST
DAY 12: SAN DIEGO, CA


I started off my morning at Jungle Java in Ocean Beach. This whole-in-the-wall, eclectic cafe was a lovely, quick retreat from the chaos on the roads outside. It stretched further than you would have expected looking at it from the outside and had plenty of tables to choose from amongst a little fountain, succulents intermingled in window shutters hanging on the walls and a central chandelier. The business itself isn't really enclosed in a building but has sort of a tent-like space set up for "indoor" seating at the front as well as plenty of space outside in the back area.

Credit: Melissa Lehuta
The barista was busy with other orders as I approached the counter and seemed a bit irritated by my presence at first. I sat patiently as she prepared a blended drink for a scruffy looking man with a cat in his backpack. Her appearance reminded me a bit of Jasika Nicole (actress "Astrid" on Fringe) who I think is quite beautiful and it was a nice change from all of the blonde hair, spray tans and fake boobs. She was very sweet after she got caught up with orders and a kick-ass barista.

I was preparing to hit the road the next day, so I went back to the apartment to finish up laundry and get things organized. I met Joey's elderly, cancer-recovering apartment manager who remarked "I don't mean to be rude, but who exactly are you?" when she spotted me in the laundry room. Joey warned me that she is upfront and doesn't hold anything back but very sweet. I told her I was staying with Joey and she nodded and continued on her way.

Joey and I had attempted to go to South Beach Bar & Grille in Ocean Beach a couple of days prior and learned our lesson to take a cab this time around for dinner. The security guard turned us around immediately after checking Joey's ID and pointing out that it was expired. This guy must have been having one of those days or power tripping or both. Joey doesn't look under 21 and had an ID that was valid until quite recently. So we got back in a cab to go to the apartment to grab his paperwork from the DMV and then back to the bar. Being the Californian that he is he just let it go, no hard feelings.

We were starving and ordered salsa, chips and guacamole, fried mushrooms, shark tacos and the carne asada mini street tacos. It was my last night there, and the last night I could ruin his diet so we ate like kings! After nearly finishing all of the food and bouncing back and forth between watching the baseball game and some guy hitting awkwardly on two girls at the bar, I was now in a food coma and ready to head back to the apartment for some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment